I have only found one VMO exercise that consistently activates the VMO. Oh, and it does a number of the gluteus as well.
Diagonal Sit Backs
- Start with the patient on one knee and heel directly under opposite buttocks. (right knee on the ground with right heel in line with left buttocks)
- Now the leg should be at a 45 degree angle, slight hip external rotation.
- Instruct the patient to perform a brace & breathe and slow start to sit back onto their heel. Do not have them go into lumbar flexion.
- They may not be able to touch their heel.
- Return to the starting position and repeat.
- No flexion or posterior pelvic tilting should be noted.
- The arms can be raised for balance.
- This should be felt in the VMO and gluts.